The NordVPN native application is the recommended option for connecting to NordVPN servers on your Windows PC. They designed it with your experience in mind, giving easy access to features such as Double VPN, Onion servers, and automated Kill Switch. The application uses OpenVPN, one of the best VPN protocols out there, by default.
This tutorial explains how to download and install the NordVPN app on your Windows PC, log in, and connect to our servers. We also give an overview of its settings.
Downloading and installing
If asked “Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?” in a pop-up window, click Yes.
3.The installer window will open. Click Next.
Setting up and using NordVPN
NordVPN is very easy to use on Windows 7 and later systems. Just follow these simple steps to set up the app and connect to a VPN server.
- Click on the NordVPN logo on your desktop. Wait for the app to load, then enter your NordVPN username and password. Click Sign In to continue.
- In the main app screen, you will see our server list and map. In the top-left corner, you can search for servers using the search bar. In the top-right corner, you can click on the gear to open app settings. At the bottom, you will find our Quick Connect button, which will automatically connect you to a server recommended by our smart algorithm (based on your needs and preferences).
- You can also connect to a server in a specific country by clicking on the country’s pin on the map.
- Once connected, the country’s pin will turn green. The Quick Connect status bar at the bottom should say that you are Protected.
- If you want to connect to a specific server, click on the search bar in the top-left corner of the app. Enter a country, a category, or a specific server’s number with a hashtag (e.g. United States #4425) to find what you need.
- Once connected to a server, you will see the white NordVPN icon in the system tray area at the bottom-right corner of your screen. NordVPN will continue to protect you even if you close the app window.
- It may also be in the hidden system tray area, which you can open with the upwards arrow.
- Right-click on the system tray icon for quick controls: Quick Connect/Disconnect, reconnect to recent servers, open the app or quit.
Choosing between different servers
- On the left sidebar, you will find all servers that we offer, organized by country and specialty.For example, you can click on Specialty servers to expand the category, hover over the P2P category, and click on the three-dot menu to select a specific P2P server. Other specialty servers work the same way.Each server will display its current load (in %) next to its name. The more people connect to that server, the higher its load will be, which may result in slower internet speeds.
- To connect to a specific server, click on it.
Managing favourite servers
- You can add a server to your favorites by clicking the heart symbol next to it on the list.
- Your favourite servers will appear in their own category called My Favourites. You can connect to them like any other server.
In the Settings tab, you can configure the application to your liking.
- Launch at Windows startup – makes NordVPN run automatically when you start your computer. Enabled by default.
- Launch the app minimized – only displays the NordVPN icon in the Windows system tray (instead of opening the main window) when the computer starts. Enabled by default.
- Show VPN connection status notifications – shows Windows notifications each time you connect or disconnect from a server. Enabled by default.
- CyberSec: block ads and malicious websites – protects you from intrusive ads, malware sites, phishing links, and other threats.
- On the left sidebar, you can also access your account details. The Logout button is also at the bottom.
Auto Connect settings
- Auto-connect on the app launch – make the app connect to a server automatically upon starting. Disabled by default.
- Auto-connect on unsecured Wi-Fi – make the app connect to a server automatically when you connect to an unsecured wireless network. Insecure wireless networks are networks without a password. Disabled by default.
- Choose a VPN protocol and server automatically – let the app choose a VPN protocol and server automatically. Enabled by default.
- VPN protocol (visible after disabling the Choose a VPN protocol and server automatically option) – UDP is mainly used for streaming and downloading. TCP is more reliable, but also a little slower, usually used for web browsing. UDP by default.
- Auto-connect to – select your preferred country or server type to automatically connect to. You will be able to select a specific city after you select a preferred country.
- Internet Kill Switch – cuts off your internet connection when you’re disconnected from secure NordVPN servers. Disabled by default.
- App Kill Switch – shuts down specified programs if you lose connection. For example, if you add Skype to the list, NordVPN will close it whenever you disconnect. Since it takes a few seconds to reach a secure VPN server, this will prevent your data from leaking upon automatically reconnecting to the internet. Disabled by default.
- Custom DNS – specify a particular DNS server for the NordVPN application.
- Obfuscated Servers – enable to bypass network restrictions, such as firewalls. This is recommended for countries with restricted network access.
- Invisibility on LAN – makes your computer invisible to others on the same local area network (LAN). Keep in mind that once enabled, you will not be able to devices connected through LAN, like printers. Disabled by default.
- Diagnostics – runs the NordVPN diagnostics tool if you’re having technical issues. Collect the diagnostic data and provide the ticket ID to our support staff for further assistance. If the diagnostics tool does not give you a ticket ID, you can instead send the .zip file to our support staff.